Friday, August 7, 2009

Weekend in Tena

So the whole group of CFHI kids in Puyo went to Tena, about an hour-and-a-half away from Puyo for the weekend. We stayed in a small resort owned by a 25 year old Dutch guy named Martin. Our main purpose there was to go rafting. We spent a whole day rafting on a couple rivers. Since there were so many of us, we were split up into groups. My guide was a 27 year old dude from Quebec who left home about two years ago to see Australia and Asia. His plan was only to stay away for a few months, but ended up hearing about place after place and decided to keep his trip going. In order to afford his travel he worked in camps, led hikes, rock climbing, rafting trips, anything he could. In Ecuador, he found this job as a rafting guide. His name is Gyllam but he went by Guillermo so that people could pronounce it. Anyway he was a pretty sweet guide and we did tons of neat things along with river throughout the day. I didn't bring my camera and therefore wasn't able to take pictures, but a couple of the girls brought waterproof cameras, so hopefully I get my hands on those pictures somehow. At the end of the rafting trip, which with lunch and all was about 7 hours, there was a bridge that crossed over the river I'd say anywhere between 40-60 feet above. Some other people had already jumped off the bottom tier. I climbed up to the top tier of the bridge, following my friend Chris, and without any rope or anything jumped off. WOW!!!! I had no idea what I what to expect. About two seconds after I started flailing because I hadn't hit water yet-it was a long fall, well longer than I figured it would be. This was definitely more exhilirating than my other bridge jump. Oh yeah I forgot to mention. When I climbed up to the top tier and was positioned, a truck of natives passed me and one of the girls said to me "Tu vas a morir", translation: "You are going to die". That was comforting I thought, turned back around and jumped.

No comments:

Post a Comment